-->

Friday, October 27, 2006

The Reference for the Rest of Us

I have made the -- ahem -- interesting decision to become a Wikipedia editor. [Sidenote -- this might possibly sound like some honour or something, but don't be fooled: all it takes is pretty much an e-mail address, and I get the feeling they might even waive that in some cases...]

Most recently, I updated the article on the Norris-Hulse Professorship at Cambridge. Hey, write about what you know, right?

But I've also run across another reference source, this one, at times, quite riotously funny. It is the Uncyclopedia. Part of the site is Unnews, which features news from far and wide, such as: North Korea apologizes for blowing up China, and Likeness of Virgin Mary seen in Renaissance painting. Good stuff.

But it doesn't stop there. There are foreign language versions of the Uncyclopedia as well. For example, en Francais, c'est la Désencyclopédie. My favourite brief article: NEW YORK, ÉTATS-UNIS - Un joueur de baseball fait foncer son petit avion dans un immeuble. George W. Bush déclare la guerre au sport.

But wait, there's more: for those of you for whom standard English is a bit too highbrow, there is also Uncyclopedia in Simple English. Now all we need is a Babel fish that will translate it into Snoop-Dogg language. (Unfortunately, the official Shizzolator seems to be down at the time of this writing.)

Of course you might be saying to yourself, 'but Jason what possible appeal could Wikipedia translated into Snoop-Dogg have?' Ah, my friend, we have much to speak of, but the first step must be for you to embrace Gizoogle. Go now.

No seriously, go now.

While you're there, punch in the address for Gower Street -- or should I say 'Gowa Street'? The masthead (in Snoop) reads: Theology, History, Anglican Communion straight trippin' Food, Urban Design n Architectizzle &c.: Ever rhymin' ta prove tizzle hizzay is shot calla a lot of wit.

I could hardly put it better myself. 'Dat's fo' shizzle.

2 Comments:

Blogger ::aaron g:: said...

I think you're right about not Wikipedia not requiring an email address. I once edited an entry without any sort of sign-up required.

Sunday, October 29, 2006 11:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Suddenly, I'm feeling old....

Tuesday, October 31, 2006 3:17:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home