-->

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Say It Ain't Tso!

I can't believe it - my favourite Chinese dish isn't Chinese at all.

Turns out General Tso's Chicken is American, not Chinese.

(I must admit, I was always curious when I called the local Chinese restaurant here in Cambridge and they didn't know what I was talking about.)

Although this is (apparently) common knowledge to all but me, Jennifer 8 Lee, author of The Fortune Cookie Chronicles, went a step further and dug up some historical information about the actual General Tso - or, better, General Zuo.

My favourite quotation from the article, which includes a picture of the man himself, is this:

What I discovered. In America, General Tso, like Colonel Sanders, is known for chicken and not war. In China, he is know for war and not chicken.

Oh, well. I still love General Tso, whether he cooked or not.

At least I've still got the genuine Italian goodness of Pizza Hut pizza. Oh, wait...

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Good one! Yeah, I knew it wasn't real Chinese. I tease Bonnie about it sometimes as if it is.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 4:55:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home