-->

Friday, February 11, 2005

Shpilkis, part 3, or: Guilty of Admission

Along with the usual subjects I blog about, I have been chronicling my attempts to gain admission to a Ph.D. program. (Specifically, here, here, and here.)

Well, I've heard something from one institution so far: the faculty of divinity have admitted me to Cambridge!

Ever since I received word, I've been on an emotional roller coaster, and have had trouble sleeping. I think we want to go, but it will be a huge undertaking for us on a number of levels. For one, we both tend to be pretty settled people (not unlike Hobbits, perhaps), and don't generally wander too far from the Shire. On the other hand, we both see this as a challenge and a growth experience; plus, we both love England and it's Cambridge!

Of course, the true hurdle for us still lies ahead, if we want to go to Cambridge: we need to have a rather hefty "capital sum" as a condition of final admission by the university. Basically, this is an amount intended to cover tuition, room and board, and living expenses for three years: it will end up being just south of $150,000 for us. Where will we get that kind of money? I'm working on it, but it's far from clear at this point. (Any ideas? I would love tips and ideas!)

Anyway, we're quite excited about it and starting to pack and dream and whatnot. If you see us, don't be surprised to find that we have a look in our eyes that combines rapturous bliss and flat out panic. Please keep us in your prayers for wisdom and discernment.

8 Comments:

Blogger Peter Young said...

Congrats.

Friday, February 11, 2005 3:33:00 PM  
Blogger Peter Young said...

How soon do you have to come up with the dough?

Friday, February 11, 2005 4:02:00 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

Pete:
I have (I think) six weeks following receipt of my official letter, which I haven't received yet -- that will probably be sometime next month.

Friday, February 11, 2005 4:18:00 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

Actually, no, a bit longer than that. I need to let them know one way or the other after six weeks -- so I'd better be pretty sure we can meet the conditions if I say "yes" then.

Friday, February 11, 2005 4:23:00 PM  
Blogger Howlin' Hobbit said...

This is one Hobbit who urges you to leave the Shire, unsettling as it might be.

Do everything you can (within your moral boundaries of course) to take advantage of this opportunity.

As you said, this is Cambridge! Just being accepted there is awesome.

I'm rooting for you!

HH

Friday, February 11, 2005 6:24:00 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

Wow.

Cambridge.

$150,000.

The mind reels.

I'll pray for your discernment.

And above all, congratulations!

Friday, February 11, 2005 9:07:00 PM  
Blogger Caleb McDaniel said...

Congratulations! Sounds wonderful!

Friday, February 11, 2005 10:05:00 PM  
Blogger Jane Ellen+ said...

Exciting, wonderful, overwhelming news! Congratulations, and I'm praying for you as you go over details and logistics.

Saturday, February 12, 2005 1:09:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home