-->

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

If you want to know the truth...

...Philip Blond and Adrian Pabst are willing to tell you.

A juicy excerpt:
Contemporary secular liberalism is bankrupt. Historically, liberalism drew its strength from a critique of divinely sanctioned absolute monarchs and authoritarian rule. As such, liberalism had republican values and communal aims. But in overcoming absolute sovereignty, liberalism internalized it, reproducing not mutual citizens but self-sufficient subjects. This process reached its zenith in the 1960s, when genuine political transformation was aborted in favor of the subjective desires of pleasure-seeking adults.

(Did I mention that Philip Blond is a former student of John Milbank?)

Read the rest here.

And thanks to Bo, Bud, et al., and their new blog, where they kindly provided me the link (which came to them in a six-degrees-of-separation manner via AKMA.).

2 Comments:

Blogger Doug Wood said...

Jason,

You have written often about the need for religion to be public. What is meant by public? Is it meant that we as citizens are more public about our beliefs, that we practice them openly in our interactions with our neighbors, or is it that the government has a position in all of it as in "In the West, privatizing religion initiated the abandoning ..."?

The former reminds me of Thunder's post about religion being about the Kingdom of God Come and I couldn't agree more. The later, however, scares the hell out of me. In that case, I have a hard time holding "No true follower of monotheism can claim to know the mind and will of God" and "True religion has always been public and political because it is about forming communities around shared values and the practices that embody them" in tension.

I have no bones with everyone coming together as a community with a strong voice to carry out God's work here on earth. I do, however, have a problem with my kids being assigned the Left Behind series in school. (And should that happen, after we deplete you stock of Gin you mentioned in a previous post and head of to the school board meeting together!)

Tuesday, July 12, 2005 2:13:00 PM  
Blogger Doug Wood said...

I just happened to reread my post and it seems I should have stayed out of the gin before writing the last parenthetical comment. I was attempting to paint a quick picture of a priest and parishioner heading off to a school board fight; demonstrating the speech patterns that would be used was just happenstance.

Tuesday, July 12, 2005 3:20:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home