-->

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Why I love NPR

So I'm hauling all my worldly goods down to Tennessee and scanning around to find the local NPR station, somewhere in northern Kentucky. It's after dinner, and I hit Fresh Air. And what are they doing? Terry Gross is doing a week-long History of Hip-Hop. It was, in a word, amazing.

They were all -- as near as I could tell -- archive interviews, but they were great. Daryl McDaniels from Run-DMC, LL Cool J, Will Smith, De La Soul, Ice Cube: they were all there. (No Beastie Boys, but that's cool. They were always white men working in a mostly black idiom. It would have been easy to bring them on as "safe", but safe in a racist way. Although the B-Boys are great in their own right, in the past they have gotten some exposure from an establishment that found them more palatable than a Black group. But NPR got it right.) It was great hearing Terry press Chuck D on whether the S1Ws (from Public Enemy) were carrying real machine guns or not. And the interview with Ice-T was maybe the best -- I have a new respect for him and his work.

If you missed it (it was the end of August, and I haven't blogged in a while), here are the links: ch-check it out!

Day 1
Day 2
Day 3
Day 4
Day 5

Brooklyn!

3 Comments:

Blogger Peter Young said...

The shows with Ice Cube and Ice T were the best. Especially when Terry asked Ice Cube if the emphasis was on the Ice or the Cube.

Friday, September 16, 2005 4:23:00 AM  
Blogger Melvin Ming said...

Definitely excited for the props given by NPR on this. But must admit I squirm as I listen to Terry talk with Chuck D in her prim, ultra-white way. I appreciate her good liberal self, but some of her questions are just dumb.

Monday, September 26, 2005 12:15:00 AM  
Blogger Jason said...

P: Yeah, I loved that too -- the question totally caught him off guard.

M: Yeah, I thought that Terry and Chuck D had the most disconnect of all the interviews. But, really, Terry is a prim, white liberal and I'm not sure how else she could have interviewed Chuck or anyone. I give her a nod just for doing the feature, rather than some more obviously white/liberal/establishment/whatever thing. And for her to come out and pretend like she was ghetto or something -- just for this week of (prerecorded) interviews -- would have been risible and sub-professional. But, yeah, she didn't get it in some ways ("Uh, why don't you want to answer whether the S1Ws had real machine guns?").

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 10:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home