-->

Sunday, May 07, 2006

Holy...

I love Wikipedia. I find, more and more, that I can start looking at one article innocently enough, and before I know it have spent hours looking at everything I ever wanted to know (at an introductory level) from chalk to cheese.

Last night, I found myself awake at 3 a.m. After trying desperately -- and vainly -- to return to slumber, I got up and decided to see how the Cubs were doing (keep in mind, I'm on British Daylight Time; 3 a.m. here is 10 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time, and the Cubs were playing on the West Coast.). So I checked; they were leading 1-0 at that point. Then I checked e-mail; nothing. Then I scanned around some blogs, found I was still awake and had time to kill and before I knew it I was reading Wikipedia. Well, one thing led to another...yada yada yada...and three hours later I discovered the following fascinating fact:

The name of each and every station on the London Underground shares at least one letter with the word 'mackerel' except one: St. John's Wood.

Ugh, I gotta get more sleep.

2 Comments:

Blogger Peter Young said...

Yeah, but woundn't they all have a letter in common with mackerels?

Monday, May 08, 2006 9:08:00 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

Yeah, but finding a word which all of the stations share at least one letter with is easy: eunoia, for example, or ultrarevolutionaries, for another (They each have at least one of each vowel, hence share at least one letter with each station name).

The challenge is finding one word which shares a letter with every station but one -- such as "photocopying" and Russell Square.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 9:20:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home