-->

Monday, April 16, 2007

Huh?

When you want keenly insightful analysis of sport...Gower Street is not where you turn.*

Nevertheless, I am completely gutted that the Chicago baseball teams yesterday collectively allowed only three hits to the opposition -- and yet they both still somehow managed to lose.

To my readers unfamiliar with baseball, you will have inferred from context that three hits is good, but let me stress that this is very good -- unusually good -- to have a regulation nine-inning game and only allow one hit (Sox) and two hits (Cubs). They are defensive gems. Only rarer would be a no hitter (one or two per season, if that) or the real Holy Grail of baseball, the perfect game (in which the pitcher only faces 27 batsmen and none reach base). These were games with great pitching and defense which makes it all the more scandalous that they were losses.

And the Cubs spent how many millions of dollars in the offseason on, um, 'talent'?

I actually wonder if that is a record for single-city futility in a single day? Anyone?

If this is the harbinger of things to come, I'm not booking my return trip to the Windy City for October, that's all I've got to say.


(Kudos to Rosenblog for the tip-off.)

*I didn't even say anything about my beloved Chicago Bears going to the Super Bowl...or their mucking it up so badly that they were mistaken for the English Test Cricket Team in the airport on their way back home.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Peter Young said...

True. But Buehrle just threw a no hitter!!!

Thursday, April 19, 2007 4:46:00 AM  
Blogger Jason said...

Yes, I saw that - awesome! (And that is one way to make sure - almost - that you win with minimal offense.)

Thursday, April 19, 2007 9:15:00 PM  
Blogger ::aaron g:: said...

Last week Jake Peavy struck out 16 (including 9 straight!) and the Padres still lost.

What a crazy game...

Monday, May 07, 2007 9:34:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home