-->

Saturday, December 18, 2004

FAQ on my profile picture

Here, appropos of nothing in particular, is an FAQ on the picture in my profile.

When and where was the picture taken?
The picture was taken in the summer of 1991, somewhere in extreme west-central Indiana (Vincennes, or Terre Haute, maybe, I really don't remember). A group of us had gone camping nearby and stopped at this park, which I recall was near a river.

So what's going on in the picture?
There was this statue in the park, and it was huge and inviting. The way he was posed and staring off into the distance, it looked like he was engrossed in listening to someone. Why couldn't I be that someone? So I sat on his lap and posed as if I were talking to him. College student stuff, I know.

Who is the statue of?
I haven't the vaguest recollection.

What does the picture mean?
Mostly I had it taken (and include it here) because I think it is wicked funny. But in some ways it also represents what I think I am doing here in my blog. Not that you're not listening, but that I post here -- as much for myself, I guess, as anyone -- and it sometimes seems like speaking into the void. There is a semblance of listening, after all it is a publicly accessible blog, but I don't know if that semblance correlates with an actual listening or not. More than that, I don't know if I should care anyway: maybe it's fine to talk to a statue.

Is that a Washington Senators hat you're wearing?
Yes, good eye! The cap is an authentic replica of the Senators cap as worn from 1957 to 1960. I have almost always favored wearing baseball caps from defunct teams, like the Senators, the Brooklyn Dodgers, and the Chicago Cubs.

So, you'd probably been drinking pretty heavily, huh?
Nope, not a drop.

No, really -- you must have been have been half in the bag, right?
Seriously, no. My friends and I were stone cold sober.

You did this sober?
That's what I'm saying. You can ask Pete, Dwight, Mike, Mary, Susan, or any of the other folks who were there.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Peter Young said...

To fill in some of the detail of the picture.

You are sitting on the lap of a statue of Francis Vigo at the George Rogers Clark Memorial in Vincennes, Indiana, on the banks of the Wabash River.

You were discussing your "beverage theory" with him, a bit we stole from the Letterman show and for some strange reason thought was hilarious. The beverage theory: I don't believe that there is a man, woman or child alive who doesn't enjoy a good beverage. For the whole trip we would ask each other "Have you ever heard my beverage theory."

How do I know, I took the picture. Why did I remember, your guess is as good as mine. And yes we we stone cold sober. For more information on Francis Vigo go to http://www.nps.gov/gero/people.htm for a picture of the statue sans Jason.

Monday, December 20, 2004 4:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home