-->

Thursday, February 24, 2005

Bad News, Good News

Well, I found out yesterday that Duke University took a pass on me being admitted to their doctoral program in religious studies. I still think it's a great department and all, but I am rather disappointed in how they notified me: I received a brief e-mail which linked to a perfunctory form letter. It used to be they sent out a more elaborate rejection letter on university stationery, something you could hang on the wall with pride (and throw darts at). Now their notice is only one step above spam.

On the other hand, I also received a very cordial e-mail yesterday from someone named Giovanni Mccoy -- who could make up a name like that, I ask you? -- offering me a genuine college degree in only two weeks. Apparently, there is this loophole in the law that soon may be closed that allows me to get whatever degree I want, from a bachelor's degree all the way up to a Ph.D., fully verifiable, with no study required! And here I am like a sucker working my butt off to get into a doctoral program which will take years and will require a great deal of hard work. So look for me to be wearing a sweatshirt emblazoned with the logo of a prestigious nonaccredited university sometime soon, toting around my doctoral certificate -- or heck, maybe I'll have two!

I know, I know, I've been admitted two other places so far and I have no reason at all to be snarky. Oh well, three down, six more to go.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Thunder Jones said...

Welcome to the club. Don't take it too tough. I know last year the Christian theology program took 1 person.

Thursday, February 24, 2005 5:07:00 PM  
Blogger Jane Ellen+ said...

Mr. McCoy's letter sounds remarkably like an email offer I've gotten offering instant ordination. Gee, wish I'd seen that sooner - no need to waste my time in seminary training, and certainly no silly GOE's to take!

Though that offer didn't include any references to a cool sweatshirt...

Thursday, February 24, 2005 5:38:00 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

Thunder:
Funny thing is, I'm pretty sure that I am well acquainted with the only person who got into theology last year! Stanley said it is "hard as Hell" to get in and I shouldn't take it personally. And for the most part, I don't think I am.

Jane:
I ran across "Universal Life Fellowship" or some other inanity shortly before I was ordained, and I thought "gee, I've spent years of my life, and thousands of dollars for something I could have gotten in fifteen minutes for free!" They didn't solicit me by e-mail though -- I wonder how you rate? (-: Maybe the real question is -- 2006 GOEs here we come! -- if you were "ordained" in ULF or its ilk, would you have to be re-ordained or just received to exercise sacramental ministry in ECUSA?

Friday, February 25, 2005 2:34:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home