-->

Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Would be, but...

I think I would be more upset with the NHL season being cancelled if a professional team played in my hometown of Chicago...

I am a bit of a hockey fan: not like I am a baseball fan, but I usually follow it, sort of out of the corner of my eye. I used to love going to UIC Flames home games back in the day when I was at University. (The only other team sport I remember us being known for was rugby -- I guess we were only interested in sports where you could beat the Hell out of the other team in the confines of gameplay. What do you expect from a school known for turning out two-fisted thinkers? But I digress...)

Now, it's not that I insist on only rooting for teams that excel: I am, after all, a Cubs fan (and a Red Sox fan after that). In fact, I am attracted to those teams that seem afflicted with a sort of pathos-ridden futility. I do root for the Toronto Maple Leafs, who seem like nothing if not the Cubs of the NHL. But the Chicago Blackhawks: such great tradition, yet such ineptitude and disregard for anything that smacks of class or ability. The NHL playoffs have the virtue of including virtually every team in hockey except for the real losers. I can't even remember the last time the Hawks were in it. Nope, no professional hockey in Chicago.

(OK, maybe the Chicago Wolves count, if they're paid.)

2 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

You'd think in a town like St. Louis (where the sports pages are 3rd only to the main and metro sections) there would be more agonizing, but we're much more concerned about whether the beloved Mark McGwire was on steroids.

Wednesday, February 16, 2005 11:19:00 PM  
Blogger Peter Young said...

At least Pitchers and Catchers reported to camp yesterday.

Thursday, February 17, 2005 3:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home