-->

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

As no one will be surprised to hear, I quite love it here. There are a few things which leave me nonplussed: for example, I am quite certain that door handles have been deliberately placed so it is uncertain whether you ought to push it or pull it. I am forever pulling one which is meant to be pushed, or pushing one meant to be pulled. In America -- or Chicago, at any rate -- a sure and certain rule is that if you are leaving a building, the door pushes out. Of course the converse is true as well: heading into a building, you always pull the door. This is for simple safety reasons. If there is a fire, you ought to get out as quickly as possible and not risk a crush of people. Heavens knows in Chicago, we have enough tragic history to have hammered this into our skulls. But not here, for whatever reason.

And there is something else which doesn't confuse me, but I simply miss: snow. Living on an island makes the possibility of snow quite remote, and until last year I have lived my entire life in what is typically a snow rich area. I was just beginning to feel wistful for not having seen snow in over a year when what should I awaken to yesterday but a right proper snowfall, with giant-size snowflakes and all. It was maybe a quarter-inch accumulation. Ah, not quite enough, and it didn't last past 10 am, but still in all, a nice reminder.

I wasn't able to take any snapshots of the snow myself, and I haven't been able to find any from yesterday online to share, so here are some pictures of Cambridge in the snow from the previous 6 or 7 years. (Used in accord with posted permissions: Photographs copyright cambridge2000.com. See more here.)


Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home