-->

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Britisher than thou

In order to instill civic values and cultural knowledge, the British are moving to offer classes in schools on 'Britishness'. There is also a 'Britishness' test that potential immigrants take as part of becoming a citizen to gauge how easily they will integrate into society.

If you go to the website, you can purchase resources to study for such a test, including taking a free online version. Curious, I took the free online trial: 10 questions to be answered in 20 minutes or fewer.

I got 10 out of 10.

In under a minute and a half.

There weren't even any questions about cricket. The mind reels.

Maybe that means I'm 'Britisher than thou' -- although I should note that I was listening to NWA's single 'Straight Outta Compton' while writing this, so maybe not. Not exactly a top-selling British single, that.

Or maybe it just means that the test is surprisingly easy. (Hint: the Queen is head of state -- who knew?)

Hat tip to James Aylett on Talk to Rex

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger James Lark said...

I failed the test. Six out of ten.

But at least I have a more convincing British accent than you.

Saturday, February 03, 2007 9:49:00 AM  
Blogger Jason said...

James:
Absolutely correct! In fact, I take away from the test the notion that Britishness is mostly accent.

Of course, I can tell the difference between the words source and sauce when they are spoken, but who am I to point out such things? ;)

Saturday, February 03, 2007 12:15:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home