-->

Sunday, May 28, 2006

So does that mean I'm two degrees of separation from the unified field theory?

I love living in Cambridge: I've said that before, no surprise there.

But sometimes I forget just how center-of-the-universe-y it really is.

Yesterday, I learned that a friend of ours, an astrophysicist who works at the Cavendish Laboratory, goes to the same church as Stephen Hawking.

Yes, that Stephen Hawking: the one who did a voice on The Simpsons.

Oh, and I think he did something or other amazing with theoretical astrophysics, too -- but, man, The Simpsons! I guess that means I am two degrees of separation from Dan Castellaneta!

2 Comments:

Blogger Marshall Scott said...

Fascinating! And what church does Hawking attend?

I'm not at all ironic in this. My father has a PhD in Chemical Engineering, and most of the men I knew as a small child were in Grad School with him. I was in my mid 20's before I really accepted that I didn't need a PhD myself to be an adult male. And all those men attended church and raised their kids in the faith. So much for the myth of the "Godless athiest academic!"

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 4:38:00 AM  
Blogger Jason said...

I love that you were formed in that atmosphere! I can imagine how it's had an effect on you. We all grow up with at least one of those: blessed blind spots, we might call them.

SH apparently attends a C of E church in Cambridge, with a reputation for charismatic worship (!). I hear that he attends the earlier more 'traditional' service about once a month or so. I think his wife is a member. I don't know if he would describe himself as a Christian or not -- and to be fair, I haven't asked him!

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 7:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home