-->

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Little Victories/ des petites victoires

I returned however reluctantly from several days in Paris a little over a week ago - photos to follow. More than the other times I've visited France, I felt that my French went into overdrive; a very interesting experience and I am trying to work hard to keep it up. But I experienced a few small victories, which may well have fuelled my rapid expansion of French: I was twice stopped and asked for directions from native French speakers (they may have been in Paris from Toulouse or Lyons or Montreal, who knows); apart from appearing savvy enough to actually be worth asking for directions, I also actually knew Paris - and French - well enough to direct them accurately.

The other moment of distinction was one night when I was in a bar with my brother, and we were talking with some of the patrons, and one of them guessed I was from...wait for it...Belgium. What an amazing holiday it was.

This might sounds like I'm bragging, but I'm really only bewilderedly proud, and grateful.

À Mme. Lowstuter, Mlle. Washer, M. Johnson, et toutes les autres personnes qui m'assistent apprendre le français: je vous remercie!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Christopher said...

Well congrats Mr. Flemish-man!
Peace,
Chris

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 4:57:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home